AHG, like other companies that operate in Australia, is bound by the National Privacy Principles as set out in the Privacy Act 1998 (Cth) and its amendments, and is committed to protecting and safeguarding your privacy when you deal with us.
Collection of information:
- Some information provided to us by clients, customers, contractors and other third parties might be considered private or personal. Without these details we would not be able to carry on our business and provide our services to you. We will only collect such personal information if it is necessary for one of our functions or activities.
- Personal information is generally defined as information or an opinion that can identify a person and could include information such as your name, postal or email address, date of birth and financial details.
- The type of information that we may collect from you will depend on the dealings you have with us. For example, we may require more information about you in order for you to purchase a vehicle than we may require in order for you enter a competition.
- In particular, personal information is collected from people in the following situations by AHG:
- If you contact AHG, we may keep a record of that correspondence;
- When you submit your e-mail address to our web site mailing list;
- When you enter into a contract with one of our dealerships; and
- When you make an application for credit or finance.
- AHG may also collect other types of personal information from time to time and will inform you upon collecting such information the purpose for which it is being collected.
- At or before the time the personal information is collected by us we will take reasonable steps to ensure that you are made aware of who we are, the fact that you are able to gain access to the information held about you, the purpose of the collection, the type(s) of organisations to which we usually disclose the information collected about you, any laws requiring the collection of the information and the main consequences for you if all or part of the information is not collected.
Use of personal information:
- Personal information provided to AHG may be shared between related companies of AHG, where it will be kept strictly confidential and will only be disclosed on a need to know basis.
- We may use or disclose personal information held about an individual for the primary purpose for which it is collected, including provision and administration of our services, notification to you about changes to our services, record-keeping following termination of our services to you and technical maintenance.
- We may also use such information for a purpose related to the primary purpose of collection and where it would reasonably be expected by you that we would use the information in such a way. This may include, for example, conducting and verifying transactions, and retaining adequate records for legal, accounting and audit purposes. This information is only disclosed to persons outside our business in the circumstances set out in this policy or as otherwise notified to you at the time of collection of the information.
Disclosure of personal information to others:
- We are permitted to disclose personal information held about you:
- to a third-party credit provider;
- where you have consented to the use or disclosure;
- where we reasonably believe that the use or disclosure is necessary to lessen or prevent a serious, immediate threat to someone's health or safety or the public's health or safety;
- where we reasonably suspect that unlawful activity has been, is being or may be engaged in and the use or disclosure is a necessary part of our investigation or in reporting the matter to the relevant authorities;
- where such use or disclosure is required under or authorised by law (for example, to comply with a subpoena, a warrant or other order of a court or legal process, or to fulfil statutory or compliance obligations); or
- where we reasonably believe that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary for prevention, investigation, prosecution and punishment of crimes or wrongdoings or the preparation for, conduct of, proceedings before any court or tribunal or the implementation of the orders of a court or tribunal by or on behalf of an enforcement body.
- In the case of a credit or finance application where AHG collects your personal information as agent for a third party credit or finance provider, AHG will collect only as much information as is required by the third party credit provider to allow it to process your application and comply with its legal obligations (including its obligations in relation to consumer credit laws and anti-money laundering legislation). AHG has no responsibility for the privacy policies and practices of the third-party credit providers with which it deals and therefore, what happens with your personal information once it is disclosed to them. You should contact those credit providers directly should you require more information about how they handle your personal information.
- From time to time AHG may use your personal information to identify activities that may interest you and send you information about our products and promotions and those available through our business partners. If you do not wish to receive direct marketing information please let AHG know. AHG will take steps to ensure that you do not receive any direct marketing information in the future.
- Our web site may contain links to other web sites and those third party web sites may collect personal information about you. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of other businesses or the content of web sites that are linked to our web site. AHG encourages users to be aware when they leave the site and to read the privacy statements of each and every web site that collects personally identifiable information.
- AHG collects information from its website using "IP files".
- When you visit the AHG site to read, browse or download information, our system will record/log your IP address (the address which identifies your computer on the internet and which is automatically recognised by our web server), date and time of your visit to our site, the pages viewed and any information downloaded. This information will only be used for the purpose of site analysis and to help us offer you improved online service. We may automatically collect non-personal information about you such as the type of Internet browsers you use or the site from which you linked to our web sites. You cannot be identified from this information and it is only used to assist us in providing an effective service on our web sites.
Security and storage:
- Your personal information may be stored in hard copy documents or electronically on AHG's software or systems.
- AHG places great importance on the security of all information associated with our customers, clients and contractors. We have security measures in place to attempt to protect against the loss, misuse and alteration of personal information under our control.
- In the case of electronic records, personal information is held on secure servers in controlled facilities. Adequate physical security of hard-copy records is also ensured.
- Personal information is de-identified or destroyed securely when no longer required by us.
- Information stored within our computer systems can only be accessed by those entrusted with authority and computer network password sanctions.
- No data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100 per cent secure. As a result, while we strive to protect user's personal information, AHG cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information transmitted to it or from its online products or services, and users do so at their own risk. Once AHG receives your transmission, it makes every effort to ensure its security on its systems.
- You are solely responsible for keeping your passwords and/or account information secret. You should be careful and responsible whenever you are online.
Access to and collection of personal information:
- AHG is committed to maintaining accurate, timely, relevant and appropriate information about our customers, clients and web-site users.
- You may request access to the personal information AHG holds about you and upon receiving your request AHG will take reasonable steps to let you know generally what sort of personal information we hold, for what purposes and how we collect, use and disclose that information.
- Inaccurate information will be corrected upon receiving advice to this effect from you. To ensure confidentiality, details of your personal information will be passed on to you only if we are satisfied that the information relates to you.
- If we refuse to provide you with access or correct the personal information held about you by us, then we will provide reasons for such refusal.
- We will investigate your complaint and attempt to resolve any breach that might have occurred in relation to the collection, use or destruction of personal information held by us about you in accordance with the Commonwealth Privacy legislation. If you are not satisfied with the outcome of this procedure then you may request that an independent person (usually the Commonwealth Privacy Officer) investigate your complaint.
Transfer of information overseas:
- Pursuant to the National Privacy Principles we may transfer personal information we have collected about you to someone other than you in a foreign country only if such transfer is permitted by the National Privacy Principles.
- Should you wish to read more information on privacy legislation or the National Privacy Principles we recommend that you visit the Federal Privacy Commissioner's website at www.privacy.gov.au.